Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday Notes

Hello everyone....

We had a unbelievable day and its was definitely because of God's plan and strength. We all were very tired and emotionally spent. The day started early and most of us were rushed to get dressed due to us being so tired. The missionary was hurrying us to get to the van. Several of us had not even had the chance to eat anything for breakfast and it was off to the next location. Luckily, the driver stopped at a convenience store and we got some breakfast pastries and drinks.

We drove and went back to the area called La Florida. This is our 2nd trip to this location and it was amazing. The female players arrived and ran to Paul, Rob and Brett as they have been their coaches. The girls asked Paul, Rob and Brett to come sit down under a shade tree because they needed to talk to them. The girls brought each of them gifts and told them thank you and they love them. What a sight to watch. There was a great connection between these guys and the female players. They all had so much fun both days. The boys came up to the rest of us and it was like they found their best friend and hugged them. The way these players, male and female, welcomed and accepted us was unbelievable. The morning session we decided to play some games with them based on throwing skills. These games were very fun and the players really enjoyed them.

After one of the games, I was walking with one of the players named Camillo (2 Pac). I asked one of the interpreters to come over and translate for me. I had been thinking about Camillo since we left him the last time. I felt Camillo was leaning towards the street life based on the way he dressed, his attitude, his mannerisms and the type of music he had been listening to. I asked the interpreter to let him know I had been thinking about him and I cared for him. I told Camillo I would like to know more about him and his family. Camillo stated he lived with his mother, father and older brother. I asked Camillo who had the greatest influence on him and who did he want to be like. Camillo stated he wanted to be like his middle brother. I asked Camillo what he wanted to do with his life and he stated, "go to school, do graffiti artwork and study tourism". I went back and asked Camillo about the "middle brother" as he did not mention him earlier. Camillo's whole attitude changed and he became silent. Camillo began talking and stated his middle brother was murdered and thrown into the river. Camillo stated there had been no justice for his brother and he wanted to go and get revenge. I didn't want to but I told Camillo I was a police detective and there were times that I could not solve the case and find the "bad guys". I told Camillo that police do not stop looking for the bad guys. I asked Camillo if he believed in Jesus Christ and he stated yes. I asked if he knew about Jesus or did he have a relationship and have Him in his heart. Camillo stated he had Jesus in his heart. I told Camillo that there would be a day when the person responsible for his brothers death would stand before God. This person would stand in the HIGH COURT and be held responsible by the JUDGE of all judges. I told Camillo that God would hand down the punishment and it was not his job to take revenge. Camillo began to cry uncontrollably and I told him that I could tell he was filled with pain and anger. I told Camillo he needed to pray to God and ask Him to take the hurt and pain away. Camillo told the interpreter he wanted me to pray for him right then and ask God to help him. The three of us began to pray and Camillo continued to cry. I prayed for Camillo and asked the Lord to do a mighty work in his heart. I asked the Lord to release Camillo from his burdens and to open the eyes of his heart and see that He has a plan for him. After praying, Camillo hugged me and you could tell some of the burden had been lifted. I talked to Camillo about him being a role model and he agreed there are several players who follow him and they are influenced by him. Camillo stated he wanted to be a role model. He stated he wanted to be a husband and a father one day. Camillo seemed to be a different person all day long. I walked away with my eyes filled with tears and I went back onto the field and prayed that "he got the message".

We finished the morning session and went to the big mall for lunch. La Florida is a pretty far distance from our dorms so we had to waste close to 3 hours.

The afternoon session began with us switching things up by us playing a game of kickball with all the players. This was really fun but the players wanted to play baseball. We divided them up and played a baseball game. These players have improved a lot since the 1st day and they were really having fun.

We ended the day with Robbie speaking to the group of players. Robbie thanked them for accepting us into their country and their group. Robbie told them how much fun we had with them and how much they meant to each of us. Robbie told them that each time any of us think about our trip to Chile, we would think of them. I followed Robbie with a talk about having pain and hurt in our hearts. I told the players they needed Jesus Christ in their lives to help them through the hurt, the pain and the tough times. Several of the players were shaking their heads but I wonder if they got it or not.

We handed out t-shirts, baseball cards and a baseball Bible tract to each player. Man did they love these gifts. We took a group picture and it was emotional. Several of the male and female players were holding on to each of us and they did not want us to leave. It was very hard to leave and many of us began to cry. Camillo came over and hugged me and he had tears in his eyes. Several players went over to Brian and asked for a baseball. These players were begging us to give them something of ours. Many of the players asked us to autograph their shirts so they could remember us. We all finally got on the bus to leave and I could not stop crying. My heart was hurting because those kids do not have much. They begged us to give them something and your heart wants to give them everything. You begin to wonder if they will ever have anything like these past 2 days and if we made a difference in their lives. Bob spoke up and stated he felt the need to pray and he began to cry as well. Bob prayed for the players and hoped they would turn to Jesus. Bob prayed for each of them and hoped we made a difference. Not a dry eye on the van.

Back at the dorm, Brian and Brett led devotions. Brian spoke about Acceptance and Greed. Brian spoke of his own personal struggles and failures and it was powerful. Brett spoke about "God is Awesome". Brett told about his personal life and his struggles as well. Brett talked about leaving the church at one point and feeling like he had everything and did not need the church. Brett talked about the parable of the "lost son" and how this was him and his life. Brett thanked the Lord was welcoming him back home with open arms. Once again, not many dry eyes.

As you can tell by my last two letters, we all are emotionally and physically tired. There are two days left of work to do and we have prayed to God that He give us mighty strength. Please pray for us and that we do not tire and falter at the job that needs to be completed.

We continue to pray for our families and their well being. We thank each of you for taking on the burdens caused by each of us being gone. We love and miss each of you very much. Please take care and we will see each of you soon.

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment